Our driver training academy is licensed to eligible for this course. A Driver Training School is required to comply with MELT and Licensing Standards. We train our drivers who have earned their two years of experience while having a Class 3 equivalent driver’s license in another Canadian jurisdiction. They must show a driver’s abstract from that jurisdiction to establish that they meet this condition.
- Classroom: For the Experience and Equivalency Class 1 curriculum, we require 11 hours of classroom training.
- Our Department of Transportation requires licensed driver training schools to adopt the Experience and Equivalency Class 1 MELT curriculum.
- In-yard: People registered in the Experience and Equivalency Class 1 MELT program must complete at least 6.50 hours of in-vehicle training.
- In-Cab: Students enrolled in the Experience and Equivalency Class 1 program must complete 22.50 hours of in-cab training.
Requirements for General Facilities
Our training facility must comply with all Occupational Health and Safety regulations and local municipal bylaws.
The following items must be present in the facility:
- Seating and tables that are appropriate for the number of trainees and instructors.
- Emergency exits that are easily accessible, lighting, and heating/cooling systems are adequately suitable locations for in-yard training.
- The location of this facility must be far from public roads. A yard of at least 55 meters wide by 73 meters long is recommended for in-yard training.
Present Class 3 Drivers Take More Notice:
If you have held a class 3 driving license for two years or more, you are entitled to attend this course to obtain your class 1 driver’s license.
- Our driver’s training is performed with the following configuration of truck or tractor:
- Three or more wheel trucks or tractors with minimum gross vehicle weight.
- The complete air brake system on both tractors and trailers
- Minimum twin-axle tractor and trailer
- Fifth wheel coupling device
- A single trailer with a minimum length of 48 feet and a minimum width of 35 feet is calculated.
Our vehicles are in good mechanical condition and comply with all applicable requirements outlined in the People Driving Academy Inc. and the Commercial Vehicle Safety Regulation.